Re: helpful hints in a help system

Subject: Re: helpful hints in a help system
From: Jennifer Chiki <Jennifer -dot- Chiki -at- MARCAM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:15:00 -0400

Kelly wrote:

>I am revising a procedures-only help system (Robo for 95). A sales
dude with tons of user contact and information is working with me
to develop helpful hints.

>I am unsure at a design level how to handle the hints. A pop up? A
Hints button that jumps to a secondary window?

Kelly,

We have just incorporated "tips" (I imagine similar to your hints) into
our new help design (WinHelp 4.0). Our approach is...

- If the tip is short, we put it directly in the topic. We use a light
bulb graphic to set it apart. We also headline the tip with bold text for
better scannability.
- If the tip is long, or there are multiple tips, we put a push-button
jump in the topic. This push-button jumps to a pop-up window containing
the tip(s).
We use the light bulb graphic and headline in the pop-up window as
well. Using a pop-up window allows the main topic to remain uncluttered,
but still provides easy-access to the tips.

Have fun!

Jennifer.

_____________________________________
Jennifer Chiki
Intermediate Technical Writer - Protean Development
Marcam Canada Corporation
jennifer -dot- chiki -at- marcam -dot- com

(Embedded
image moved kellyk @ CYBEROPTICS.COM at SMTPGATE
to file: 08/28/96 12:46 PM
PIC001.PCX)

To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L @
LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU> at SMTPGATE -at- ccmail
cc: (bcc: Jennifer Chiki/MARCAM)
Subject: helpful hints in a help system

New Text Item: Text Item

I am revising a procedures-only help system (Robo for 95). A sales
dude with tons of user contact and information is working with me to
develop helpful hints.

I am unsure at a design level how to handle the hints. A pop up? A
Hints button that jumps to a secondary window?

I do not want the hints to follow the procedures. Too much potential
for scrolling.

Creative, user friendly suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reply to me directly, please: kelly -dot- kremin -at- cyberoptics -dot- com

Thank you.

Kelly M. Kremin
CyberOptics Corp
Minneapolis, MN