Re: Hash marks revisited

Subject: Re: Hash marks revisited
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 14:15:55 +1000

David Ibbetson wrote:

Where's your audience? In countries that use the pound as a unit of money
the phrase "pound sign" means the fancy capital L that is used in the
same way as (USians use the dollar sign). In former times a script lower
case l after the amount was used as an alternative to the fancy L before
the amount.

<End quote>

You also cannot use the "pound sign" definition for countries like
Australia. Call it a hash in general or an octothorpe for telephony
applications maybe. This maybe because we at one stage had pounds
(although not in my memory :) ).

Colleen Dancer