Re: document control

Subject: Re: document control
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 17:45:34 -0700

At 05:24 PM 8/15/96 -0700, Ed Glennon wrote:
>I'm trying to figure out if our group should use a document control
>product, so that writers have to check files in and out, and we can
>maintain different versions of the same file.

I vote yes on that one! It's easy enough to control documents when
there are only one or two writers working on things, but even so,
there's duplication of effort and lost changes and damaged documents...
Murphy's law, you know.

>So I have these questions:

>1. What are the pros and cons of using document control software?

pros:
Easier to track who's working on what.
Easier to prevent two people from working on the same file.
Less chance of losing work from damaged docs.
Easier to back out changes.

cons:
Well, not everybody likes to be controlled. ;-)

>2. What products are available that might be worth checking out?

Check out StarTeam from StarBase. It's the last product I worked on before
I left there (and I've already cashed in my stock options, so I don't have
a vested interest anymore, but it's a good product). It gives you version
control, defect tracking, and threaded conversations on 32-bit Windows (only)
platforms and will handle all kinds of Windows files. They're just about
to release version 2.0 and I think the product is still on sale for $99 --
a real bargain! Evals are available.

StarBase sales number is 1.888.star700

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com