help files--names for groups of topic pages

Subject: help files--names for groups of topic pages
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 08:23:15 -0600

Hi everybody,

I have a question that some of you may be able to answer.
While I am teaching my students how to build help files, we
examine conceptual structures. One of these structures is
the collection of topic page plus all of its associated
popups--some software applications may have five or six such
popups. I have looked in the literature for what industry
calls this collection but have never found anything. For
want of a name, I call them topic complexes. Is there a
different term that I have missed?

Similarly, we frequently see related topics (e.g.,
WordPerfect has six or seven places one can go from the
words "search" or "searches" in the index). Because such
groups are typically heavily hotlinked I present them as
loosely related groups that, for want of a name, I call
topic suites. Again, is there a different term that I have
missed?

I would appreciate your input. But you might want to reply
off-list.

David Hailey
fahaily -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu