Word 6/Winhelp Problem--Need Help

Subject: Word 6/Winhelp Problem--Need Help
From: Brett Peruzzi <Brett -dot- Peruzzi -at- FDC-INVEST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:32:04 -0400

Since my doc staff upgraded from Word 2.0 to Word 6.0 we've run into a
few problems with .DOC files that were converted to 6.0 from 2.0.

The first problem involved a .DOC file that was hopelessly corrupted
and essentially needed to be recreated. Microsoft support was
ever-so-helpful in telling us that yup, this happens sometimes when
converting documents from 2.0 to 6.0, and nope, they have no solution.
Thanks, Mr. Bill.

The latest problem involves a 2.0 document that was converted to 6.0
and then converted to Winhelp using Doc-to-Help 1.6. I suspect file
corruption again because although the help file compiled, the compiler
spit out three pages of warnings (Context number already used in
[MAP], Non-scrolling region defined after scrolling region, Unresolved
jump or popup, etc.).

The actual help file is a mess, ridden with errors. The file was
previously fine under Word 2.0--no compiler warnings, and it look fine
after being compiled.

I have a despondent writer on my hands who dreads the idea of
recreating this 100-page plus file. Of course, a major release of the
software the help file documents is looming.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and do you have any words of
advice?

TIA,

Brett Peruzzi
Documentation Manager
First Data Investor Services
Boston, MA USA
Brett -dot- Peruzzi -at- fdc-invest -dot- com