Re: Technical Writing: a Calling?!?

Subject: Re: Technical Writing: a Calling?!?
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:25:04 PDT

Moshe Koenig writes:

>In fact, I would go so far as to say that technical writing is writing
>that is transparent by definition; the writer becomes invisible in
>good technical documentation.

That's a pretty strange definition. I would think that technical writing
has a job to do, which is to inform the reader as to some set of techniques.
It is possible for good technical writing to be highly mannered -- read HOW
TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE some day.

While it's true that most highly mannered technical writing is bad,
that doesn't mean that none of it is technical writing. There are
plenty of "invisible writers" turning out bad technical writing every
day.