Using Master Documents - Summary of Responses

Subject: Using Master Documents - Summary of Responses
From: MWN <MNorton -at- FORMMAKER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:51:17 EST

Some time ago I posted a question concerning the use of the master document
feature in Word (versions 6 or 7). Here is a short summary of the responses I
received:

* Every response recommended avoiding the master document feature if at all
possible.

* Two responses recommended using the following sets of freeware macros instead
of the master document feature.

master11.zip
tagger3d.zip

from: ftp://ftp.winsite.com/pub/pc/win3/winword/

* Several responses advised dividing the information into one file per chapter
and generate ToCs and indexes on a chapter by chapter basis. You then manually
combine your ToCs and indexes.

* Several responses stated that you will have better luck with master documents
if you have plenty of memory (like 32+mb) and plenty of free disk space (as in
2.5 times the total size of your Word files). It appears Word needs lots of
resources as it tries to expand the various files which comprise the master
document. If nothing else, you'll be able to reboot more quickly.

Thanks to all who responded. I have not yet tested the macros, but that is the
approach we will take. If you would like more information on these macros,
contact me at mnorton -at- formmaker -dot- com and I will send it to you.

Mike Norton