Re: MYOB

Subject: Re: MYOB
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 20:45:53 -0400

Miki wrote:
>In these days of toxic corporate
>growth for the sake of growth (that's cancer, isn't it?), I have a great
>deal of respect for someone who's game to try living within limits.
>Whether the motive is pride, sloth, or indifference to greed, the end result
>is consistent careful craftsmanship. In my book this is a Good Thing, and
>the world would be a better place if more people were as concerned for
>the quality of their work.

Thank you!

I spent 17 years as an R&D chemist. For part of that time, I supervised
anywhere from 1-4 technicians. I've also been a team leader for a product
evaluation group. Got good performance appraisals for that stuff, but
HATED being held responsible for the quality of other folks' work.

<soapbox mode ON>
No, I don't think I'm perfect. I know that I make mistakes, too. And I'm
quite willing to take the heat for my -own- mistakes. I just resent
INTENSELY having to waste time dealing with -other- people's mistakes.
I'd rather write, design, plan, and produce something I can be proud of.

After 17 years of being the major breadwinner in the family, I decided that
an overflowing bank account wasn't worth an ulcer or a heart attack---or
psychiatrist's bills. Fortunately, my husband agreed. I didn't give him
much choice, actually, but he accepted the situation gracefully <g>. We
reorganized our lifestyle so that both of us could do the work we loved.
It took 10 years, but my business is doing well enough for us to get back
into a 2-income house, with enough left over to enjoy life a bit.

I have several friends who have allowed their businesses to grow to the
point where they can't do any writing themselves. Why on earth would I
want to spend my time managing a business where other people got to do the
fun stuff? If -you- enjoy the business end of things, fine---hire
yourself a couple of employees or subcontractors and go to it.

I'd rather WRITE.
<soapbox mode OFF>

<sigh>
I feel better now.

@Kat ___________________________________ katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing / Editing / Document design

"She has very definite opinions on grammar, but enjoys
debating them with me before insisting on doing it her
way, rather like a cat toying with a mouse."
______T. Mauro, COPYEDITING-L (7/16/96)