Re: Doc-u-Tech

Subject: Re: Doc-u-Tech
From: rpachol9 <rpachol9 -at- SKYPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:36:37 -0600

I am new to the list; I hope this helps.

Denise Passmore wrote: My company just installed a Doc-u-Tech system. We
are trying to print from FrameMaker 4 and are having problems because the
system does not allow you to send a book which is how our print documents
are set up.

We use FrameMaker 5.0.1 and also go to a Doc-u-Tech system; not at our
plant but a printing vendor. We are Mac PPC based and print the book to
Adobe Print Central (a LasewWriter print driver emulator running on our
server) to an Adobe Distiller watched folder on our server to create
Adobe Acrobat .pdf files. We use scripting commands within Print Central
for font inclusion and have set up several versions of Print Central
spooling depending on whether we will be printing to Doc-u Tech, www
pages for the Internet/Intranet, or plain postscript files. We also set
up different graphic resolution parameters within Distiller for the
various watched folders depending on the final purpose of the file (www,
Doc-u-Tech, eps). It took a lot of dorking around dealing with
semi-competent print vendors, but we finally got it worked out. On the
plus side, the .pdf files are cross platform and also work for
distribution to the PC (engineering) and the Mac (Technical
Communications/Marketing/Training).

R. Pacholke
<rpachol9 -at- skypoint -dot- com>