Re: Icons v. Buttons and Apple

Subject: Re: Icons v. Buttons and Apple
From: "James M.Lockard" <norton -at- MCS -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:15:54 +0100

Michael Loader writes:

>Of course, Apple loves to write "Open the SimpleText icon" instead of
>double-clicking a desktop program icon, which I think is confusing.

I don't represent Apple, but I believe they write "Open the SimpleText
icon" because double-clicking is not the only way to start an application.
On the Mac, you can open an application by selecting its icon (which can be
done with the keyboard) and pressing [Command] + "O". In Windows also,
there are a number of different ways to start an application. Do you write
"Open Pagemaker," or "Double-click the Pagemaker program item"? Either one
of those options is better than "Open the SimpleText icon," but which
option do you think is better?

FWIW, I'd be the first to agree that "open the SimpleText icon" sounds
awkward. Still, I like the idea of letting the user choose how to do the
task. Maybe it's a question of scope?

James Lockard
norton -at- mcs -dot- net