Re: note taking

Subject: Re: note taking
From: Alma Schipper <schippal -at- LIMS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 09:35:15 -0500

At 05:04 PM 7/23/96 -0400, Michael Collier wrote:
>The project managers have found it to be a good thing that tech writers
>sit in on software analysis and design sessions--and take notes.
>I'll start bringing a laptop into the sessions to see if I can cut down on
>some of the transcribing time by typing and listening at the same time.

We usually take turns as notetakers at our meetings (although I've stopped
taking notes completely as my tendonitis has progressed :-( ). As many
others have suggested, we don't transcribe the meetings, just summarize the
important stuff.

One thing that we've used successfully a few times (esp. for
brainstorming-type meetings) is to use a laptop with that gizmo that lets
you use an overhead projector as the monitor. That way, everyone can see
the notes while one of us is typing them. It seems to help us stay on track
and remember the other ideas someone has already mentioned. However, it
doesn't help if you're drawing pictures on the white board...

-- Alma T. Schipper :-)
RESPONDEZ S'IL VOUS PLAID -- Honk if you're Scottish!
schippal -at- lims -dot- com (518) 274-1990, ext. 165
Laboratory MicroSystems, Inc., Troy, NY USA (but speaking on my own...)