Re: HTML as document source?

Subject: Re: HTML as document source?
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 11:45:31 -0700

>Is there some solution to this that I'm missing? If so, please point me to
>>the tool that will let me do it.

>No, there isn't.

Pardon me, but I disagree. I think Netscape's Enterprise Server 2.0 will
turn the trick. (Or if you hate Netscape, wait 6 months for the MS version).

>I respect your programmer's needs for maximum accuracy, but they must
>understand that such accuracy isn't the question. The company's greatest
>need is for smooth organization, not for pinpoint accuracy, and the ensuing
>time smash that will inevitably ensue if you have to keep two huge files
>is far, far more than the thing can ever return in profit.

I agree that each company needs smooth organization, but do not see any
conflict with accuracy. Servers (and databases) are getting progressively
more sophisticated to the point where management can have their cake and
eat it too.

So far as I can tell, management will eventually figure this out - because
Netscape and/or Microsoft are advertising the next generation of servers
like heck. Thus, the only real management question is who controls the
documents? Web Engineers or Technical Writers? And guess who runs the
server.

IMHO, what Angela Howard is witnessing first hand is the shift from
hard copy to Web driven documents. One can argue that what her company
wants to do is a Really Bad Idea - and I might even agree with you.

But that's not going to stop the boulder from rolling down the hill. And
it's rolling straight towards Technical Writers like Angela, jump or die.

My vote is to jump - deeper into the Web.

David (Just call me Cassandra) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus