Re: Coax/Twinax vs. Coaxial/Twinaxial

Subject: Re: Coax/Twinax vs. Coaxial/Twinaxial
From: dski -at- CAMEONET -dot- CAMEO -dot- COM -dot- TW
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 13:40:16 GMT

> When is it appropriate to use the short form (coax, twinax) versus the
> long form (coaxial, twinaxial)? I've seen them both ways, even in the
> same bullted list.

> To connect a 3600 printer directly to an IBM mainframe, you need:
> o a coax adapter card.
> o a coaxial cable equivalent to IBM part number #######.

"Coax" is a noun meaning "coaxial cable." It's informal, but acceptable
for most audiences, though it certainly should be explained. "Coaxial"
is an adjective. Since few adapters are made of concentric conductors,
"coax adapter" makes more sense than "coaxial adapter."

Dan Strychalski dski -at- cameonet -dot- cameo -dot- com -dot- tw Man without a mouse