Re: Icons vs Buttons

Subject: Re: Icons vs Buttons
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 16:39:08 -0500

<joy -at- TRIO -dot- COM> wrote:

> We feel that an icon is a graphical representation of the action
> that will take place when you click it. A button has text on it to describe
> what it will do.

IMO, an icon is a graphic that does something when you click on it, such as opening an application
(when it sits on the Windows '95 desktop, for instance). It's also a graphic that represents something. A
button is a GUI object with a specific look. It looks like the start button on the Taskbar in Windows '95.
Buttons can have both text and icons on them, as the button on the taskbar do.

Chris

--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier and Russel