Re: USAGE: screwdriver

Subject: Re: USAGE: screwdriver
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:45:27 -0600

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Simmons, Brian wrote:

*>Amazingly enough we are now in a bit of a quandary as to what to call a
*>simple screwdriver. Suggestions include
*> standard screwdriver
*> slotted screwdriver
*> straight slot screwdriver

I often see these called "flat blade screwdrivers". I don't think any
of your current choices do much to clarify things. "Standard" is subjective
and "slotted screwdriver" should be rewritten as "screwdriver for slotted
screws" lest the reader go searching vainly for a screwdriver with a slot in
the blade. In a perfect world you could just say "a screwdriver that fits the
heads of the frommet screws" and be done with it.

*>for one type and
*> Phillips screwdriver (which is like the Allen wrench scenario)
*> crosshead screwdriver
*> x-head screwdriver
*> cross slot screwdriver

As with the "slotted screwdriver" the problem is that you're mentally
applying the modifier to only the "screw" part of "screwdriver"; I don't
think you can count on your reader doing the same. The blade of a Phillips
screwdriver and the slot of a Phillips head screw are, unfortunately, much
harder to describe than those of a "standard" screwdriver. "Cross slot"
doesn't exactly work, because often a "standard" screw has two plain slots
that cross, but it's not a Phillips head screw.

I think that illustrations are probably your best bet.

-Matt Hicks matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu
"This planet just stepped over the line, assemble the giant robot!"
-Dick Solomon, "3rd Rock from the Sun"