Re: forbidden to apostrophize (#114160)

Subject: Re: forbidden to apostrophize (#114160)
From: Bill Burns <wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 08:37:15 MDT

16-JUL-1996 06:29:32.06

>On Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:23:32 +0200, Michal Lastman wrote:

>>My editor wants me to remove every apostrophe from my manual. This means
>>replacing not only all contractions (something I could deal with) but also
>>recasting any sentence that uses an apostrophe to form the possessive.

<snip>
...to which Matt Ion (I think--didn't see a sig there) responded sensibly.

I'll add only that this alleged editor is most likely overgeneralizing the rule
concerning the use of contractions in technical documentation to include
anything that has an apostrophe. (I'd really consider assessing this alleged
editor's credentials.) Get a couple of authoritative style guides or
technical-writing handbooks and mark the sections on contractions, possessives,
and apostrophe usage. Then let your boss browse through and determine the facts
for him-/herself.

Bill Burns
Assembly Training and Documentation Supervisor
WBURNS -at- MICRON -dot- COM