Re: White Papers

Subject: Re: White Papers
From: Michael Collier <michacol -at- UPGRADE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 08:44:56 -0400

Joy Switzer wrote:
<What exactly are White Papers? What type of information goes into
<the pages? How much? Are they suppose to be more technical than
marketing
<directed?

My sense of a white paper is that it describes a technical problem and
its solution(s) to an intended audience of management decision makers,
and therefore is not overly technical. They often seem to be part of a
new product's marketing effort and aren't blatantly promotional, only
subtly so. They are designed, it seems, to give the reader a gentle
technical overview of a product or proposed solution. I haven't written
any, only read them, but this is how I would approach the writing of one.

Michael Collier
michacol -at- upgrade -dot- com
SOFTBANK Services Group
Buffalo, NY