Re[2]: TECHWR-L Digest - 9 Jul 1996 to 10 Jul 1996

Subject: Re[2]: TECHWR-L Digest - 9 Jul 1996 to 10 Jul 1996
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:17:00 -0600

All: Please don't send mime format. It is unreadable and fills up
memory.
Thanks. Marilyn

Actually:

a) It's quite readable, with the right converter, just as any other mailing
format (such as binhexing or uuencoding) is.

b) It's a standard format developed (by an IETF committee) for transferring
documents over the Internet.

and. most importantly,

c) MIME-encoding and decoding is quite often done by the local gateway,
which is both transparent to and not under the control of the user, so
those who send it probably have no way of *not* sending it. (In my case, I
know there are certain conditions in which I cannot *not* send MIME
messages.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224