Re: present/current, was on/of

Subject: Re: present/current, was on/of
From: Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 08:43:16 -0500

On Thursday, June 27, 1996 1:02 PM, Jan Jackson wrote:

>I agree with Kenneth on this, but have a question about present/current as
>in the "present working day." I vaguely remember something from college
>English about "current" being preferred in this context, but can find
>nothing in any of my usage manuals. Anyone else?

The revised edition (1987) of the _Dictionary of Problem Words and
Expressions_ doesn't have entries for present/current, but does
differentiate presently as "more precisely used to mean 'soon,' 'before
long,' 'directly,' and 'in a short time.' Its use to mean 'at this time' is
debatable and inaccurate. Currently means 'at the time now passing,' 'at
this moment,' 'right now,'"

My question is whether "present working day" is an accounting term. I've
edited a few financial audit reports, but am not highly conversant with
accounting terminology.

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Schlumberger Oilfield Marketing Services
225 Schlumberger Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77478
(713)275-7563, fax -8545