Letter mu, was Re: Abbreviation for kilobits per second

Subject: Letter mu, was Re: Abbreviation for kilobits per second
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:15:15 -0400

Matt Ion writes:
>I normally find the Greek characters from 224 to 239 on my ASCII chart
>(mu being 230), but this isn't always available either; typing Alt-230
>in PMMail gives me a 'z'. As with any special characters, it depends
>on the character set and codepage your system is using.

In Windows these are accented characters.
Alt-0230 is the ae ligature
Alt-0181 is mu (lower case, as required)

However
1 None of these characters will have there usual values
in "specialty sets" such as Symbol
2 Even in "normal" alphabets characters above 128 may
not be present, or may be assigned in non-standard ways.

I'm looking forward to the 16-bit character set, but I'm not holding my breath.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
133 Wilton St, #506, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5A 4A4
Phone (416) 363-6692 Fax (416) 363-4987

What is this life, if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?*
---- _Leisure_ by W.H. Davies, first stanza

* Some sources substitute a full stop for the question mark.
"What is truth?" said jesting Pilate.