Re: how to up...grade?

Subject: Re: how to up...grade?
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 22:35:23 -0400

Bobby Collins asks:
> I can't find, in any of my sources, how to spell "upgradeable", or
> "upgradable."

Sue Heims suggests that it isn't a word because it isn't in her dictionaries.

About 50 years ago my grandfather reminded me that the dictionary records
what *I* write. That is as true now as it was then.

Upgradeable (I would spell it with an e) is a perfectly normal formation
using a 'live' suffix. As Sue points out, whether the sentence would be
better and more appropriate English if it were recast is something we can't
answer since we haven't seen the context.

I think I've used upgradeable in memos. "Easy field upgradeability" is the
sort of quality one puts in design requirements lists. It sounds good and
nobody knows what it means.

David (the idiot who is liable to be quoted by dictionary-makers) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson, Ontario, Canada ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com

Science is nothing but trained and organised common sense, differing from
the latter only as a veteran may differ from a raw recruit; and its methods
differ fromthose of common sense only as far as the guardsman's cut and
thrust differ from the manner in which a savage wields his club --T.H.
Huxley: Collected Essays, iv. The Method of Zadig
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net