Re[2]: Digital cameras

Subject: Re[2]: Digital cameras
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:18:00 -0600

>Has anyone used digital cameras or their images for tech manuals? Or
>does anyone know anything about these products, other digital cameras, or
>the output images? I'd appreciate any information you have.

I used to use stills from a video camera for some things. We're looking
into a couple of digital cameras right now. One is the Apple QuickTake. The
images are 640x480 in full color. The other is a much more expensive Kodak
one with extremely high resolution. (This one is *not* for documentation,
per se. We'd never justify that kind of money. It's for our legal experts
to take digital photos for use in product liability cases.)

The output of all cameras will be bit-mapped, because of the nature of the
beast. They've gotten to the point now where the pictures are stored in
memory in the camera, or sometimes on PCMCIA cards, and transferred via the
serial port to the computer using special software. No messy special disc
drives or anything. The high-end ones are just like top-of-the-line 35mm's,
the low-end ones more like Instamatics in their handling characteristics.
I've found them priced from $299 up to solid five-figure prices. You won't
find anything larger than 768 x <mumble> (I forgot the other number) for
less than four figures.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124