Re: Screen Capture -- Related Question:TIFFs

Subject: Re: Screen Capture -- Related Question:TIFFs
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:25:25 HST

>>Does anyone know why the TIFFs get reversed from PC to MAC? Does it have
>anything to do with the capture programs? With Word?

No, it has to do with the fact that there is a different standard for TIFFs
on a Macintosh. The only way I know to avoid the hassle is to stick with one
platform.<

Don't think it has much to do with TIFF standards -- I've used TIFF a lot
between Mac and PC, and never had an image reverse! I'd suspect either the
capture program, or Word (I was using PageMaker).

>Someone once told me that there were at least 6 or 8 _different_ TIFF
errrr... standards?<

Actually, there are more, because TIFF is very flexible. Among other things,
the compression method can be customized, e.g., made proprietary. A long while
ago, before standard compression techniques were really understood, this left
the door open for better compression techniques to be used with TIFF.

But TIFF is still a better cross-platform standard than its closest competitor
-- GIF.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net