Re: TIFFs

Subject: Re: TIFFs
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:09:24 -0800

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:29:40 -0400, Averil Strauss wrote:

>>>Someone once told me that there were at least 6 or 8 _different_ TIFF
>>>errrr... standards?
>>
>>No, just several zillion different options available for the format.

>Actually, there are, including versions published by both Aldus (the
>original, I think) and Adobe. Then there are later modifications by those
>companies, other companies, other people who have just added a little detail
>that suited their job...
[snip]
>Many of these options are accretions, not part of any published standard.

I guess it depends on whether you look at all these bastardizations as
varying "standards", or merely as options for one "standard", no? In
any case, it comes down to the same thing in the end...

>>As you can see, it's a very flexible format; unfortunately, that also
>>leaves a lot of room for incompatibility with applications and
>>platforms that don't fully support all the available options.

>I couldn't agree more! I prefer to stick with .EPS; that way I can almost
>always make it print in the manual whether or not it shows on the screen.

Aye, there are certainly more "stable" formats to be used (note: that
doesn't apply to bitmaps either, as they can vary between platforms as
well - OS/2 and Windows bitmaps differ by only one byte in the header,
but it makes them effectively incompatible).

Your friend and mine,
Matt
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery,
is a new metaphor for... reality." -- Queensryche

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or dimension!

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net