need advice - FrameMaker vs. Word vs. PageMaker

Subject: need advice - FrameMaker vs. Word vs. PageMaker
From: Thom Remington <remingtf -at- ENGG-MAIL -dot- LVS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 07:54:56 -0400

I'm about to start doing some freelance page layout stuff. The pages are
moderately complex (curricula for music teachers). I have Word 7//Win95, but
I understand that my predecessor used PageMaker.

So... My question has to do with the relative power, in terms of page
layout, of FrameMaker, PageMaker, and Word. Bear in mind that time is short;
I'll have to learn any new package quite quickly. I _do_ learn these things
quickly, but I won't have bunches of time available. I did a little
experimentation, and Word will do what I need. I just don't know how much
better the other packages would be.

Bottom line: I haven't priced FrameMaker yet; PM will cost me a minimum of
$550. Will I be spending my $$ and my software-learning time wisely? The
page layout project is going to be an ongoing thing for a year or two.

Please respond directly to me (remingtf -at- engg-mail -dot- lvs -dot- dupont -dot- com). I'll
compile the responses & send them to the list.

TIA
Thom Remington remingtf -at- engg -dot- dnet -dot- dupont -dot- com
DuPont External Affairs
Information Design & Development
http://www.dupont.com
http://www.concentric.net/~remingtf