Re: Philosopy the aim of tech comm

Subject: Re: Philosopy the aim of tech comm
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 09:42:00 +1000

Larry said:
Stuart, I believe your equation leaves out a key factor: The use of
design to customize the interface. By using coaches and wizards,
for example, you can put in detailed, step-by-step information
without slowing down experienced users. By providing multilevel
help, you give the experienced user a quick reference ("Oh yeah --
it's colon-slash-slash") while the novice can drill down to a
more detailed level.

In both examples it's the *user*, not the writer, who decides what's
put in and what's left out. ............

"Give them what they need, when they need it."
<end quote>

Larry, you left out one important factor, MONEY :(

For example wizards and even too much multi level help is going to be way
out of budget for my current project. So I can only give them what they
need, when they need it, within a solution that I have budget for it. It
isn't ideal but its reality. I suspect that many of my colleagues are in
a similar boat, ie budget has a very large impact on what can be done.

Cheers
Colleen
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net