GMT or Universal Time?

Subject: GMT or Universal Time?
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:48:28 -0400

Keith Soltys writes:

>I'm documenting a product that is being used in several sites around
>the world. The servers are synchronized to Greenwich Mean Time.
>Someone told me that it's now called Universal Time.

>Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so where can I find out
>more information?

Greenwich Mean Time was renamed "Universal Co-ordinated Time (UCT)" some
years ago at the international conference that concerns itself with such
things. However many UK sources, including the BBC, continue to refer to GMT.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that this was at the same time as the second was
redefined in terms other than the rotation of the earth which, nowadays,
isn't considered to be sufficiently consistent. An atomic standard
(?something to do with Caesium) has been substituted.

If Keith (in Canada) needs more information a good starting point would be
the Canadian Standards Institution.
David (the idiot) Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --
Isaac Newton
David (the idiot who's lost the contents of his Nicknames directory) Ibbetson
David Ibbetson
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com

I ask my friends to send me their internet
addresses and any group details that I should have.

TIA for your trouble.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net