Re: GMT or Universal Time?

Subject: Re: GMT or Universal Time?
From: Nancy Burns <burns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:40:17 -0700

I was searching the web today for information (for my own work) on
coordinated universal time (UCT) and international atomic time (TAI), and
came to the site,

http://www.greenwich2000.com/time.htm#Your questions answered:

which defines UTC as follows:

Replaced Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) as the World standard for time in 1986.
It is based on atomic measurements rather than the earth's rotation.
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is still the standard time zone for the Prime
Meridian (Zero Longitude)

Sorry, I don't know who originally posted the following message:
> I'm documenting a product that is being used in several sites around
> the world. The servers are synchronized to Greenwich Mean Time.
> Someone told me that it's now called Universal Time.

> Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so where can I find out
> more information?

Nancy S. Burns, Technical Writer
National Solar Observatory
P.O. Box 26732