Re. To scroll or not to scroll?

Subject: Re. To scroll or not to scroll?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:21:30 -0500

Richard Mateosian suggested <paraphrase> that it's
incorrect to state that some users prefer to scroll
downwards through a lengthy Web document instead of
reconnecting to the server. (His actual words were 'that's
completely backwards'.)

Richard, this depends pretty strongly on when you're
dialing and how fast your connection is. During regular
business hours, it can take much longer to reconnect to a
server than to download and use a long, scrolling window.
In my case, dialing from work at 14.4K, I much prefer to
connect once and not go back until I absolutely have to.

You've raised an important and interesting point, though...
what _is_ the appropriate tradeoff between minimizing the
inconvenience of trying to connect to a busy server and the
long downloads and awkward use that results from sending
multi-page documents? Does anyone have good guidelines for
this based on practical experience or careful testing? In
short: how long (how many pages!) should a web "page" be?

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net