Re. DTP vs. design

Subject: Re. DTP vs. design
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:23:41 -0500

Melonie Holliman pondered on the nature of writing vs. DTP.
This raises an important point: to what extent are we
responsible for design?

Here's the analogy that occurs to me: we're writers, not
typists, because we create information from data rather
than simply inputting what someone else has written. By
analogy, we are (information) designers, not desktop
publishers. To whatever extent our work involves creating
an effective design, it should be part of our job; applying
someone else's templates isn't a good use of our talent.
The value we add to a product comes from the intellectual
input we provide, not the mechanical, rote performance of
tasks. _That's_ the important distinction.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net