Re: STC Annual Conference Housing

Subject: Re: STC Annual Conference Housing
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 21:33:08 -0400

Marilynne Smith wrote:
>Try calling the hotel as a private person. They reserve a block of rooms
>for the convention. Hotels usually hold some rooms for ordinary people.

Good suggestion. I tried to arrange housing through the official source
(Seattle-Kings County Convention and Visitors Bureau?) and got so
frustrated I gave up. They won't make reservations over the phone (mail or
fax only, and it would take several days to determine my hotel assignment).
They won't guarantee to meet special needs. They won't accomodate late
arrival times (after 6pm).

I finally called a travel agent who:

o had my reservations at the Hilton set within 40 minutes

o got me a rate LOWER than the quoted 'conference discount' rates

o had received a fax from the hotel (a) confirming my special requests
(non-smoking room; far from the elevator and the ice machine; access to a
modem jack) and (b) agreeing to hold the room for a 10pm arrival.

Good luck!

@Kat ________________________________ LIFE1 pays for LIFE2
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY

LIFE1 (technical writing/document design) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
(health reference service) mediref -at- mcls -dot- rochester -dot- lib -dot- ny -dot- us
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com