Word 6.0 Master Document Page Numbers

Subject: Word 6.0 Master Document Page Numbers
From: "Mary D. Lee" <creative -at- UNICOM -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 14:01:31 -0500

Hi,
I'm new to Email and this is my first message to the tech writers, so please
be patient.

I'm writing a user guide in Word 6.0. Each chapter is a subdocument in a
master document. This is the first time I've tried a master document. I'm
forced to do it now in order to have a maintainable index. Here's my
problem. Every once in a while, word uses a roman numeral for the page
number rather than the appropriate chapter number and page number. Usually,
this appears on the odd page between chapters, but sometimes it happens on
the last page of a chapter. Also, near the end of the user guide, the blank
odd pages are printing portrait rather than the established landscape
format. If I print preview the page number sometimes appears correctly, but
still prints the roman numberal.

I've used Word's automatically numbered chapters in order to have chapter
numbers in my TOC and Index.

Any ideas on how to make this work as it should or will I be forced to
jerry-rig it?

Thanks for your help.

Mary