Tech Writer Opening - Lake Forest, CA

Subject: Tech Writer Opening - Lake Forest, CA
From: gpilcher -at- DELTANET -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 11:27:07 -0700

Hi,

I'm posting a job opening for a Tech Writer III for a friend of mine. Please do
not contact me; the contact person is Chuck Smith, and the information is listed
at the beginning of the job description below. I've worked with him at several
companies before, and he's a great guy to work with. Thanks.

Geri Pilcher, Corporate Webmaster, Scantron Corporation
http://www.scantron.com; 800-421-5066
I do not speak for my employer; my employer does not speak for me.

Contact:
Chuck Smith, Director of Engineering
Prism Software Corporation
23696 Birtcher
Lake Forest, CA 92630
Telephone: 800-353-3100; 714-855-3100
FAX: 714-855-6341
Email: csmith -at- przm -dot- com

Job Title: Techncial Writer III

Job Summary: Designs, writes, and edits hard-copy documentation for all Prism
Software products. Edits writing of junior writers.

Primary Job Functions:
. Designs, writes and edits hard-copy documentation, i.e. User Manuals,
Technical Manuals, Specification Sheets.
. Gathers and/or creates appropriate drawings or screen samples and incorporates
into the documents.
. Gathers technical information by interviewing engineers and other Subject
Mater Experts (SMEs).
. Researches available engineering information such as drawings, design reports,
equipment, software and test specifications.
. Conducts testing of hard copy and on-line documentation. Assists testing group
to verify documentation changes required.
. Analyzes and interprets data to determine appropriate writing style, grammar,
syntax, organization, and clarity of documents.
. Chairs alpha/beta/final document reviews with related departments. Mediates
discussions and incorporates changes.
. Participates in new product development meetings to collect data for
documents, to schedule documentation completion dates to coincide with product
development milestones, and keep team abreast of problems in the production
process.
. Consults with technical illustrator, if appropriate.
. Designs hard-copy covers and pages.
. Edits the writing of junior writers.

Secondary Job Functions:
.Attends weekly staff meetings and creates and provides weekly status reports to
manager on accomplishments, concerns, and goals.
. Interfaces with graphics and production printer as required.
. Provides editing assistance to Sales and Marketing staff.
. Solves problems with software and equipment used to produce technical
documents.

Supervisory Responsibility:
. Organizes the activities of junior writers on the team. Must be able to plan
and schedule time effectively. Must be able to adapt to change rapidly.

Qualifications:
Education and experience can be one of the following:

7 A Certificate in Technical Writing or an AA in English and five years of
experience in writing hardcopy documentation for software or hardware products,
or
7 A BA in English or a BS/BA in a related field (Computer Science, Marketing,
Journalism) and three years of experience in writing hardcopy documentation for
software or hardware products, or
7 Six to seven years of experience in writing hardcopy documentation for
software or hardware products, or
7 Equivalent experience and education.

Skills:
7 Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal form. Must have
excellent English language skills.
7 Knowledge of editing levels
7 Knowledge of graphic design
7 Proficient with electronic publishing packages in the Microsoft Windows
environment
7 Ability to analyze technical specifications and drawings
7 Ability to manage multiple projects with time-sensitive deadlines
7 Knowledge of Microsoft Word a plus