Re: Sun workstation mouse problems

Subject: Re: Sun workstation mouse problems
From: Laura Myott <lmyott -at- SVCDOC -dot- MC -dot- XEROX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:33:38 PST

On Tue, 2 Apr 199, Beverly Parks said:

> What I liked about it was that there was no ball to get dirty
> and affect the smooth movement of the mouse. I got tired of
> banging the ball-style mouse on the table to get it to scroll
> across the screen. Taking the ball out and cleaning it didn't
> always help the problem, and when it did, the improvement didn't
> last very long.

I agree there are problems with a regular mouse also. However, my main
complaint with Sun's optical mouse is the fact that on-screen cursor
movement is severely reduced if the darn mouse and special mouse pad aren't
lined up perfectly. To get maximum cursor movement, the sides of the mouse
must be parallel with the sides of the mouse pad and perpendicular with the
top and bottom ends. I also discovered (after thinking a mouse was broken)
that sun has two different optical "mice." If you use the new optical mouse
with an older mouse pad, the cursor will barely move because of the difference
in the grids on the new and old mouse pads.

Laura Myott
Technical Writer
Interim Technology Professionals
lmyott -at- svcdoc -dot- mc -dot- xerox -dot- com