Workplace Productivity

Subject: Workplace Productivity
From: Victor Chapel <victor -at- TRCINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:31:35 -0400

Regarding David Somers and Marilynne Smith discussing the
effects of workplace noise:

I've found the noise and commotion levels affect each person
differently. Personally I can work in the middle of a riot,
but others I've worked with could only concentrate in
absolute silence. Informally I have polled most of our
writers about how their childhood. Did they have many siblings,
was their home noisy or quiet, was the television or radio
always on or never on. Invariably people raised in a noisy
houshold with more than 2 siblings tend to accept workplace
noise, and some seem to _need_ the noise to concentrate.
On more than one occaision I've heard "It's too quiet in here."
Then of course those raised in a quiet household need peace
and quiet to function. Anyone else notice these distinctions?
I'm not interested in conducting a scientific study, but would
appreciate any comments.

--
Victor Chapel The Technical Resource Connection Tampa
victorc -at- trcinc -dot- com 1-800-872-2992 Fax: 813-891-6138