Software Configuration Terms

Subject: Software Configuration Terms
From: word -at- INFOCOMM -dot- NET
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 10:59:03 -0500

Last month Stuart Burnfield posted his summary of terms for software
configuration. I missed the initial discussion, but I'd like to elaborate
now.

There are subtle differences between verbs and nouns.

*Install*, which has largely been replaed by Set-up, is the simple act of
popular because it has less mechanical connotation. Now more programs have
options as to what you actually load, so set-up more properly refers to
selecting those options.

*Installation* is not isolated to software but includes the connection to
designated hardware and system components. Installation is often transparent
to the user, and includes specifying DMAs, IRQs, and other parameters.

*Configure* identifies the program modules and instructions which are necssary
for the software to function as designed.

*Configuration* is simply a parts list and may even be designated with a
single serial/revision number.

*Administration* is a management function. It designates who the users are,
what privileges they have, how and when they may access the system, how
problems are reported and acted on, etc.

Helen Blakey
word -at- infocomm -dot- net
Communication Concepts -- crafting unique publications for evolving companies