Re: Gender bias (was Evolving language

Subject: Re: Gender bias (was Evolving language
From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 10:35:15 -0500

Am I unusual here? I find that I use personal pronouns in my work
only on very rare occasions. Not because I'm avoiding them, but
because, on the rare occasions that I'm referring to a person,
it's usually either the reader or some specific hypothetical individual.

So I tend to use either "you" or something like "the operator" or
"the designer." Not to be gender neutral, but to be clear and specific.

I find that I can solve most of my writing problems by asking
"Can I find a way to be more clear and specific here?"