Re: The Little Engine that Could (was Re: Scorned Feminists)

Subject: Re: The Little Engine that Could (was Re: Scorned Feminists)
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 18:01:31 GMT

Mourning what Polictical Correctness has done to children's stories.

The thread on the little engine that could reminds me of another
children's story that is lost forever to Political Correctness. Does
anyone on the group remember "Little Black Sambo"? Does anyone remember
the pancake house chain of restaurants based on the story? I found this
story in an antique store and it's going for thirty dollars. Nothing like
banning something to increase its value. Of course I could be
remembering wrong, but I have no idea what the PC nuts found
objectionable in that story. Sambo was the =protagonist= at least in the
version I remember.

The language and the attitudes that make up the language are changing,
but whatever happened to understanding the cultural history surrounding a
work of art and =then= appreciating it for what it is; not trying to
balderdize (is that the term I want for sanitizing stories?) everything
past hope of recovery.

Nancy Lynn Hayes (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov) Carpe Diem
Seize the Day!