Writing Tutorials

Subject: Writing Tutorials
From: Susan Whitlow <swhitlow -at- WORDSWORTH -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:41:50 CST

I am looking for books or journal articles that discuss how to write
tutorials. What would be helpful are some guidelines for tutorial
writers to follow, such as how to set an appropriate tone or how to use
schemata in a tutorial. I need the guidelines to be well-documented by
individuals with some authority on this subject. I am especially
interested in any information about the differences between tutorials
and other types of user documentation, such as reference guides.

Also, I am looking for examples of tutorials that are well-written,
especially ones of a technical nature. (Our tutorials will be used by
electrical engineers and computer programmers; we don't want them to be
cutesy.)

Thanks,
Susan Whitlow

swhitlow -at- wordsworth -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
Texas Instruments, Inc.