Re: copyright - posting TECH-L

Subject: Re: copyright - posting TECH-L
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 23:44:22 -0800

>I had been going on the theory that if used for educational value, that
>many things could be copied, perhaps the only requirement being that the
>reference be made.

Wrong.

This just came up recently in a lawsuit I saw reported on another list.

Many professors nowadays use compilations of copied pages from published
works in lieu of textbooks. They specify these packets to copy centers,
which obtain the necessary permissions, generate the packets, and sell them
to students.

One such copy center advertised "no permissions delay," and started
producing packets without the necessary permissions. I believe they were
sued and lost the case. ...RM

Copyright 1996 Richard Mateosian Freelance Technical Writer
Review Editor, IEEE Micro http://www.c2.org/~srm/
President, Berkeley STC srm -at- c2 -dot- org