Re. Internet copyrights?

Subject: Re. Internet copyrights?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 15:20:17 -0600

Internet forums are akin to large, crowded rooms with lots
of eavesdroppers: anything you say publicly can and will be
repeated, and forget about trying to control your words
once they leave your keyboard. I haven't yet read of any
lawsuits that dealt with messages in a mailing list or a
usenet newsgroup, but I'd bet heavily that such suits will
protect your words to the same extent as in a _spoken_
conversation: that is, not at all, other than in the case
of libel.

If you're really concerned about copyrighting your
postings, print them first and register a copy with the
appropriate local copyright office. You might also want to
include a dated copyright notice at the beginning of each
posting. Then you've got some proof that the material
belongs to you. But doing this will get tedious fast, not
to mention expensive.

Anything I say here can be freely quoted, whether or not I
want it to be quoted. I'd expect my professional colleagues
to do me the courtesy of quoting me correctly and in
context, and attributing the quote to me, but I wouldn't be
surprised if that occasionally doesn't happen.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.