Re: Trends for Technical Communicators? -Reply

Subject: Re: Trends for Technical Communicators? -Reply
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 10:32:58 -0800

At 02:58 PM 3/4/96 -0800, Bill Sullivan wrote:
>* Commercial work versus defense contract work, translating into less
>discipline in terms of meeting deadlines.

Whooah! Waitaminit, there Bill! Commercial work less disciplined
in meeting deadlines than defense work??? I don't think so. Years
ago, in a former life, I worked for a defense contractor who had
the contract for maintaining the list of all the technical manuals
being updated for the Navy -- *all* the manuals, no matter who was
updating them. I kept that list *by hand*, Bill! And there were
*not* a whole lot of those manuals that were finished on-schedule --
or, for that matter, within a couple of weeks of on-schedule!

We all slip dates a little, I'll grant you that. But to say that
defense work is more disciplined in meeting schedules than the
commercial arena? Bullfeathers.

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com