Re[2]: Electronic File Transfer

Subject: Re[2]: Electronic File Transfer
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 16:47:00 -0600

In this day and age I expect that every format has a converter to any
other converter. So why SGML? :)

Two reasons:

1) Because every format does *not* have a converter to any other format.

2) Because 90% of the converters that *do* exist are only 90% effective
(this goes *especially* for MS products).

-- The Voice of Experience.

(BTW, for those who remember my multiple OS experiment on my PowerMac, so
far it's working fine. I haven't tried OS/2, but only because I don't have
access to an install kit to try it, but everything else, including Win95
and a couple of *really* bizarre ones, works great. The biggest hole is
networking, where the non-Mac side of the machine has plenty of sharp
edges. But the Mac side more than makes up for it, supplying network drives
to the emulator as if they were local. I"m even running a beta of Open
Transport now that's more solid than some of the production protocol stacks
my PC-using comrades are blessed with.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124