Janice King's Question About the STC Election

Subject: Janice King's Question About the STC Election
From: GFHayhoe -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 05:52:34 -0500

Dear Janice and Fellow STC TECHWR-Lers:

During my two years on the STC board of directors and another two as
assistant to the president, I have gotten to know all three of this year?s
candidates for STC second vice president. Each of them has strong points. But
I am convinced that Larry Kunz is without question the most qualified
candidate for the office of second vice president?and ultimately president?of
STC.

He?s extremely knowledgeable about our profession and the challenges which
confront us. His handling of certification demonstrates not only that he has
a profound understanding of all sides of the issue, but also that he is
cognizant of the consequences that will result from any of the possible
actions the Society might take. Larry is obviously not afraid to tackle the
tough issues.

Larry knows STC intimately on many levels. He has served in many leadership
roles in a medium-sized chapter, including president. He has served as
director-sponsor for Region 2 (mid-Atlantic area, New Jersey to North
Carolina, as well as Israel). He has also spent two years as assistant to the
president for professional development. He is widely respected by his peers
for his contributions to the profession and the Society, and was recently
elected an associate fellow of STC by the board of directors.

Though style is not essential, it is a helpful addition to the presidential
skill set. Larry is a brilliant?and sometimes just plain funny?
extemporaneous speaker. His command of issues and concepts makes even the
most complex easy to understand. He is able to inform as well as persuade,
and while he has ideas about the direction the Society should take, he will
not drive his agenda against the wishes of the members.

Finally, Larry has wonderful people skills. Though he?s not flashy or
gladhanding, those who?ve worked with or otherwise gotten to know him agree
that he respects others and their views. He in turn has garnered the respect
of those who disagree with him on contentious points as well as those who
agree with him.

In my opinion, STC is fortunate to have many talented leaders. It?s rare to
find one as blessed in capability as Larry Kunz. I?m pleased to explain why
he?ll get my vote in this election.

Sincerely,

George Hayhoe
Associate Fellow, South Carolina Chapter
Assistant to the President for Competitions
Editor, _Technical_Communication_