re.: tech writing in Europe

Subject: re.: tech writing in Europe
From: Peter Kent <76711 -dot- 2557 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:04:56 EST

>>Fionnuala Broughan said:
David, in Ireland, the mother (or grandmother) counts too...<<

Mother will work in most countries these days, I think, (though your mother's
ancestry usually doesn't take much investigating; though I guess it happens--I
have a British friend who once applied for a work permit in the US and
discovered that he was already a US citizen!). I didn't know Ireland accepted
the grandmother, though.

>>Peter, if you prove citizenship of one EU country, you are legally entitled to
work in ANY EU country.<<

Citizenship, yes, but not work permit. At least, I don't think a work permit is
Europe-wide, I believe they are limited to the country in which they are issued.

>>Note though, that some countries (e.g. Germany and I think U.S.) insist that
you hold only sole citizenship, others (e.g. Canada, Ireland) allow dual or
more.<<

UK also allows dual citizenship, which is lucky for my sons--they are
Anglo-American. The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship after the age of 18.
However, if you are registered as British, there's no need to get a passport of
declare that you are British once you reach adulthood. You can get a US
passport, and satisfy the US requirements that you not hold another
passport...yet still legally be British as well, at least in the eyes of the
British government, if not the US government.

Peter Kent