Re: Tech writing in Europe

Subject: Re: Tech writing in Europe
From: Peter Kent <76711 -dot- 2557 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 11:12:14 EST

>>David (the idiot) Ibbetson said:

A check on where your ancestors, especially your male ancestors, came from
could also be useful. Each EU country has kept its own nationality laws.<<

Generally this will only help you in Germany, I believe, which has what strike
me as incredibly racist citizenship laws. If you can show that several hundred
years ago your ancestors lived in what later became Germany, you can get German
citizenship quite easily--many Romanians, for instance, were able to do this
(exactly how you prove it I've no idea). I don't think it's going to help you in
most of Europe, though. I can guarantee that proving that your ancestors came
over with the pilgrims _won't_ get you a work permit in the UK!

I don't think a work permit in one nation of the EEC helps you in another, by
the way. Each has its own work-permit system.

Peter Kent

Peter Kent: 71601 -dot- 1266 -at- compuserve -dot- com, 303-989-1869
Coming soon, an updated and revised Technical Writer's Freelancing
Guide. E-mail for more information.