Re: Billing for travel time

Subject: Re: Billing for travel time
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:13:28 -0500

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Victoria Inness-Brown wrote:

<snip>
> In fact, because of a listing here, I may be getting a job that will
require > travel to a foreign country.

> My question is, as a freelancer, how should I bill for travel time, or
> should I bill for travel time. (I may go to Europe.)

Congratulations on the job. As far as biling for travel is concerned,
there is no hard and fast rule. If the travel is local, you will
usually have to pick up the tab yourself and not bill for the travel
time. If the distance is greater but no common carrier is involved,
compensation is usually the subject of negotiation (i.e. how bad do you
want the job _or_ how bad does the client want you to do the job?). If
the travel involves a common carrier, it is customary that the client
picks up the tab for travel expenses and, possibly, per dieum. Again,
the specifics are open to negotiation.

Have fun in Europe.

Dan Azlin ** WORD ENGINEERS, Technical Writing & Publishing **
Ph/Fax: 508-921-8908 18 School Street
Internet: dazlin -at- shore -dot- net Beverly, MA 01915-4851