Re: "See" and "Utilize"

Subject: Re: "See" and "Utilize"
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 23:12:16 GMT

In article <960215193815_145372052 -at- emout05 -dot- mail -dot- aol -dot- com>,
<KDFisher -at- aol -dot- com> wrote:
>If I see the word "see" used ONE MORE TIME in documentation to reference
>another document I'm gonna lose my lunch! We "see" with our eyes. We
>"refer" to a document.

Actually, if we're stuck with branching and routing, we use lovely
constructions like:

4.1.5 GO TO procedure XYZ, and load out gadget ABC,
THEN RETURN TO step 4.1.6

4.1.6 GO TO procedure XYZ, and load out gadget FGH
WITHOUT RETURNING TO this step.

And to really screw things up, there's always logic operators:

4.1.6 IF transferring equipment from A to B cell,
THEN GO TO procedure XYZ and load out gadget ABC,
THEN RETURN TO step 4.1.7.

Sometimes I hate using the style guide. . .

>I also wish the word "utilize" would be permanently banned and replaced with
>"use." The trend in technical writing is less is better. Why use

"Utilize" is one of my pet peeves. "Utilize" in reference to people
really annoys me. One of these days, I'm actually going to return the
comment as "Manipulate the ---- operators to transfer X to Y"

Nancy Lynn Hayes (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov) Carpe Diem
Seize the Day!