request: research on language use in new media

Subject: request: research on language use in new media
From: Nancy van Etten <Nancy -dot- vanEtten -at- LET -dot- RUU -dot- NL>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 16:36:23 +0100

For a course dealing with `communication in the context of new technologies'
we are looking for research on this subject. The aim of the course is to
provide students with a clearer understanding of the relationships between
communication processes/patterns and new technologies (e.g. Internet, WWW,
CD-ROM). We are primarily interested in the following fields of
investigation:

* language use in e-mail messages, as compared to written and oral language,
* the way WWW-pages are read and interpreted by readers,
* the way people read and use information on CD-ROMS.
* writing processes concerning electronic documents (i.a. hypertext,
WWW-pages).

We would very much appreciate references to publications, reports,
discussions etc. on these issues. We will post a summary to the list, if
there is sufficient interest. Thanks in advance,

Arie Verhagen en Nancy van Etten

Nancy van Etten
Faculty of Arts
Department of Dutch/ Centre for Language and Communication
Trans 10
3512 JK Utrecht
The Netherlands
e-mail: Nancy -dot- vanEtten -at- let -dot- ruu -dot- nl