Internationalizing/Translating Winhelp (HELP!)

Subject: Internationalizing/Translating Winhelp (HELP!)
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 18:51:01 +0100

Hello Stephen,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Stephen Schiller an All am 12.02.96

SS> From: Stephen Schiller <smschill -at- softart -dot- com>

SS> Now that the online help system is part
SS> of the application, our customers may want to translate the
SS> online help.
SS> While the customer is responsible for the translating, we want
SS> to make it as easy as possible.

You did not mention the platform you are working on. I assume, it is
MS-Windows:

The easiest way I can see is to give your customers the *.HPJ file of your
project and any file mentioned in it. Then they can use Winword to translate
the RTF files and replace any picture in the help system. Some time ago
someone here mentioned a way to exchange the bitmaps within the hotspot editor
without loosing the link map of the orininal segmented graphic. But dependingg
on the different lengths of your text in the different languages, you will
have to do some Formatting interactively by changing the RTF file and seeing
the result after the (SLOOOW) help compiler has done its job.

SS> This is a new arena for me.

Not for me, I have managed Winhelp translations from German to English, French,
Spanish, Italian and even Russian.

SS> Do you know of any good resources for writing international
SS> documentation?

Nancy Loft of this list has written a quite interesting book about
internationalization.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander